

This is Guadalajara,Mexico. A place where during my childhood summers i grew up. I learned about my grandparents (Domingo(g pa left) and Felix(g ma right) Most of my summers would be spent 2 months or more going down to live with them and help them on the farm up in the hill of Mexico. I would travel about 7 to 10 miles on a horse or donkey with my grandfather and he would tell me stories in spanish about my father coming to America, when my dad was a kid, and teach me how to understand spanish. At the same time i was trying to teach my grandpa English. He also told me stories about the landscape. Many of which had to do with religious sightings, many included the devil.
But i did learn Spanish and came back to America skinny, tan, a bit of muscles in my arms, and more than excited to see my family.(i was a mama's boy) Over the years of traveling down to Mexico, I grew more and more to understand my grandfather and his fun ways. Why working so hard and having so many children as well. My grandfather was the one who taught me how to drink, dance cumbia and sing. I value my grandfather for opening his heart to me as a child. Out of all his grandchildren, three of my other cousins, my sister and brothers and I were the only ones that went down. They would also travel to the states and make the "Family tour."
The best memory i have is when i was ten at the time. My first time in Mexico with my Uncle Coo-Coo and sister. My sister having traveled the year before with our father. She knew more than me about the town and what not. I remember coming in a taxi to the beginning of a street and having to walk my suitcase and my sisters about 100 steps on a road made of brick. A long wall was to my right and a barn was on my left. I came up to a house made of brick with an cast iron door. Chicken, goats, and roosters running around everywhere. My uncle knocked on the door, and grandpa Domingo opened the door and jumped out to hug each of us. After that i took to my grandfather as my new friend. Now he has passed away as well from Colon Cancer. I will miss him a lot.
My sister use to sing Selena songs. This was the one my sister would sing and my grandpa and I would sing the back up male parts. Now this song brings tears to my eyes and yet brings back all the Memories.
Princessa

1 comment:
You...a Momma's boy? Say it isn't so!
I love the pictures!
Post a Comment